Abbey Cemetery – view across Bantry Harbour
In the mid-15th century, the local O'Sullivan chieftain established a Franciscan monastery in the town of Bantry .... Over the years, the abbey suffered occupations by both the Irish and English armies, and in 1720, its stones were removed to build the stables of Bantry House and the Fish Palace of Bantry Square.
Today, there remains a graveyard on the site. It features stone carvings [assembled into this] small altar.
Dermot O'Sullivan, a local chieftain, founded a Franciscan Abbey west of Bantry in 1460. The Abbey survived for almost 200 years ... All that remains now are some stones which have been fashioned as an altar in the graveyard known as the 'Abbey' which is the main cemetery for the Bantry district.
|THE CARVED STONES FIXED IN THIS ALTAR|
ARE ALL THAT REMAIN
OF THE FRANCISCAN FRIARY
WHICH STOOD IN THIS AREA
BANTRY HISTORICAL SOCIETY 1992